Jun 24, 2005

"Little English language skills" [LINK]

From a letter by Maralyn Soifer to the Los Angeles Times:

I was "highly qualified" 12 years ago when I worked for Curtis, and I have become even more qualified in past years, having recently received my second master's degree; however, my students do poorly on standardized tests. They come to school with empty stomachs, untreated illness, poor dental care and with little English language skills. Most have never been to a museum or an art gallery, except on school field trips, and they own few books or newspapers. These are not issues that private school teachers usually encounter.

I have often said that if LAUSD wanted to raise test scores in the inner city, all it had to do was switch populations with a high achieving school...

To be fair, the editor is to blame.

As yet, no comments: