Jan 24, 2006

"Deaths written off" [LINK]

Concerning misplaced empathy:

Following the recent predator strike, Kendra Bucklin suggests that we have little empathy for "innocent Pakistani citizens" who "love their families just as we do," and wonders what would have happened if the strike had occurred on American soil. It's true that some of the unintended casualties may have been innocent, not counting at least four notorious terrorists.

While Ms. Bucklin's question is compelling, I find my own sense of empathy leads me to temper any outrage. I try to imagine myself welcoming Ayman al-Zawahri, one of the most hunted men in the world, to dinner. That leads me to believe that some of those killed were less than innocent, and not entirely concerned with the safety of their families.

As yet, no comments: