Mar 20, 2007

Cathy's World Is About To Get Larger [LINK]

A few days ago I sent an email to Cathy Seipp asking if she would mention my PMC ride in her blog. I didn't hear back from her, so I figured fair enough. She's been battling lung cancer herself, and I certainly understand how passing the hat for a bike-a-thon might be seen as trite or inappropriate. (Frankly, I'm not sure if Bryce was ever on board with the idea, either.)

Now I'm shocked to learn from her daughter's posting that Cathy went into intensive care with collapsed lungs, after which they learned from doctors that her end is imminent. It seems so freakish to hear that, so soon after reading her previous posting making idle fun of celebrities. Bizarre how that post's comments turned from the usual trivial nonsense we all yap about to a sorrowful vigil for a wonderful woman fighting for her last moments.

Now I'm dreading refreshing my news reader, knowing the other shoe is about to drop. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.


UPDATE: Cathy died on Wednesday. She was 49. What a sad time. I was familiar with her NRO pieces, which though they often skewered some nitwit or other, always displayed a light, conversational style, as if you're chatting with her over coffee. Reading over so many tributes, I've also grown impressed with the amazing group of friends she had assembled, and it's hard not to feel like you start to know them after a while. Aside from Cathy's extraordinary writing, that will be another legacy. While so many friends relate that Cathy was the one who introduced them to everybody else, I get the sense they will continue to gather and laugh in her absence. Cathy's daughter, Maia, just recently started college. What an awful time to lose your mother, when you're just starting to feel comfortable as an adult. Still, I take solace that Maia will be able to rely on these people.

As yet, no comments: